How To Save Money On Your Kitchen Remodel:
Remodelling any room in your home promises to be an expensive project, with labor, appliance, and time costs that can quickly spiral out of control. Make sure you know your budget before you start the project so you can ensure you don't spend thousands of dollars beyond what you expected.
Kitchen remodelling is a big project and you shouldn’t approach it rashly. Because of the amount of essential appliances necessary to any functioning kitchen, you need to approach the project with a plan. The layout of your kitchen will determine a great deal, before you even begin searching for new appliances. Available space, existing wiring and plumbing, and ingress and egress spots all need to be taken into account, especially if you are looking to save as much as possible on your renovations. Rebuilding your entire kitchen from scratch will significantly increase costs, and the duration of the project.
There are a few vital appliances and fixtures that every kitchen needs. Oven and stove, refridgerator, sink, cabinet space, and counter top surface area. A dishwasher, while not necessary, can save time and effort on keeping your dishes and eating utensils clean. Microwaves and Toasters provide quick access to warm meals, but are also not entirely necessary. Having a kitchen without any of these vital appliances can severely hamper you ability to create amaving homecooked meals, or store or prepare food.
If you plan to undertake a renovation project, be sure to dudget for new esential appliances, and make sure you have the space to install them. If you are looking to go above and beyond the essentials you should consider these add ons that can really improve the look, feel, and functionality of your kitchen.
- Second Sink or Doble Sink – Having a second sink or a diveded sink means you can clean more dishes at once and prepare more food. For those who love cooking, a second sink allows you to prepare foods without any chance of cross contamination.
- Decorative Cabinets – The kitchen does not need to be sparse and utilitarian. You can tie together the entire room with decorative cabinets. A matching set will give the room a unified look and feel.
- Soft-Close, Full-Extension Drawer Glides – Installed on or under the sides of drawer, drawer glides ensure that your drawers are never stuck, giving you access to all the cooking and eating utensils you need when you need them. In addition, they help avoid slamming the drawers and causing damage to the finish.
More Options, At A Cost:
If saving money is your goal, then the following options might be superfluous and potentially out of your planned budget.
- Decorative Wall Mounts, Tiling, or Moulding– A purely decorational option. While it may look amazing, getting this done correctly and on budget is difficult. Most decorative wall tiling or moulding costs a good deal for both the material and the instalation, and the actual intallation can take days or even weeks.
- Distressed, Glazed, Crackled Finishes – It can increase the cost of cabinets by around 30% and it can look dated with changing trends.
- Wine Fridge – Unless you are a wine connoisseur, a dedicated wine fridge is a no go. The extra expense is rarely worth the hassle.
The Best Ways to Save More:
Stick with the current layout. Moving gas lines, electrical wiring, plumbing connections, and taking down walls, can easily wrack up a high price tag. SOme other tips to save on your kitchen remodel-
- Choose the manufacturer offering for finishes as the standard option will come without any up-charges.
- You don’t have to pay for custom or factory-built organizers. Rollout trays, aftermarket utensil dividers, and back-of-the-door spice racks can save more.
- You have no need of custom configurations. Use cubby units, stock wine organizers, and appliance panels to fill spaces.